Turkey Creek Mafia Golf Rules Summary
Introduction: Since we have recently added several new members to our Mafia golf group, we thought it would be helpful to write up the rule adjustments we use when we play our weekly matches. We made these adjustments to make our game as much fun as golf can be, while honoring the spirit of the rules of golf.
Mafia Rules Summary: October 1, 2021
A REVIEW OF LOCAL MAFIA GOLF RULES: USGA RULES APPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS:
1. GIMME PUTTS: 36" RULE = ONE NORMAL PUTTER LENGTH - MUST BE MEASURED - Please be consistent with this rule. It is so easy to start adding a few inches.
2. CLEANING AND ROLLING THE BALL ONE CLUB LENGTH: We allow this anywhere, not just in the fairway as do most courses.
• IN THE ROUGH, BALL MUST BE PLAYED FROM THE ROUGH: You can take the one club length relief.
• IN THE SAND TRAPS: We do allow you to roll your ball in the sand traps, but you must stay in the sand trap unless water is present or on any specific day the decision is made to place them outside of the sand, e. g. Too much mud, etc.
4. LOST BALL = BALL IN WOODS, BUSHES, WATER, UNPLAYABLE LIE: PLAY THE BALL WITH TWO CLUB LENGTHS RELIEF AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE TO WHERE IT WENT OUT AND TAKE THE ONE STROKE PENALTY: USGA rules do allow other options, but always with a penalty.
5. OUT OF BOUNDS = SAME AS LOST BALL
6. ROOT RULE EXCEPTION: SO WE CAN AVOID INJURIES, ONE CLUB LENGTH FULL RELIEF NO NEARER THE HOLE IF A ROOT WOULD INTERFERE WITH YOUR SWING.
7. WATER ON THE 14TH HOLE: If you hit your ball into the water on the 14th hole, we are creating a drop area on the other side of the water near the Cyprus tree. You take a one stroke penalty, and you place your ball in the drop area, therefore you are hitting your third shot. (Of course, you can always re-tee your ball, but that also requires a one stroke penalty, so you are hitting your 3rd shot).
THE MAFIA GOLF HANDICAP COMMITTEE - Ron Marshall, Jerry Ermlich, Keith Baucom, and Joe Thigpen